Saturday was another fairly calm day for Mom. I believe it was cool but sunny. We took a longer walk outside then the last two days. This time, when she pointed out a plant, it was "Goat's Whiskers" instead of "Goat's Beard." She ate fairly well. I had to leave early for a gig 2 hours away. Dad made a good supper with chicken tenders and veggies, he said it turned out well.
Sunday was a bit tricky. We all three agreed that I would come over at 9:30 a.m., leaving Mom alone for a half hour. Wouldn't you know it, I overslept on Sunday! Never happens. Woke up at 9:45! Ran downstairs, put on coffee, fed the cats and zipped over there, walking in the door just before 10 a.m. She hardly realized I was late, engrossed in a television show on HGTV. That was a relief (later she admitted she was confused if it was me or Maria coming over).. I settled in and casually mentioned that my friend was stopping by to say hello to me on her way back home to Boston, and that she wanted to come and say a quick hello to Mom. This casual news upset Mom quite a bit at first.. I had to gently calm her down and eventually she agreed to meet her.
The next battle came a little while later when I realized Mom was shaking and cold, despite the heat being jacked up, the heating pad at her back and a throw over her legs and torso. I suggested we change into clean clothes from head to toe.. oh boy, she did not like that idea one bit, and she bursted out in frustration. I remained calm and soothing, and though it was a battle and so painful to see her react that way, I managed to get her into completely new clothes, even fresh socks. It was not pretty though.. she fought me the whole way. It's unbelievable to witness this behavior, but it really is the symptoms of the disease. Heartbreaking.
I had her put on some deodorant and run a comb through her hair and she chose a fresh bandana that matched her fresh outfit, and sure enough, once settled back down in the chair, she felt better and warmer. I managed to rub some moisturizer on her dry feet and toes before we put on the fresh socks, and I also gently applied some moisturizer on her face and hands.
We waited for Dad to come home from church. I gave her a snack of a bowl of grapes, and she ate them all down. I started lunch for her, but she wanted to wait for Dad, so I set it up so they could eat together as soon as he came back. He was home by 1 p.m., I rushed out of there to get ready for my gig.
I am worried that she's not reading as much now.. watching more t.v. Dad has been reading to her in bed before she goes to sleep.. how freaking cute is that? Again, she didn't complain too much about pain in her back.. though if I mention possibly going to church some Sunday, she is quick to use that as an excuse. I remind her that they want to see her.
I almost cried when I watched her nod off in the chair before Dad came home. I am sure to tell her I love her, and give her lot's of gentle hugs and back rubs. She seems to appreciate that a lot.
Oh, and sure enough, when Don and my girlfriend stopped by around noon, she lit up quite a bit, and was quite lucid. She brought up a bit about her past, childhood homes and how her parents worked in banks.. It took her a second to remember Don's name, she said she wanted to say Dean, but she got it.
It was really good for her to have a little social interaction..
It is overcast and drizzly, I wonder what her mood will be like today.
No comments:
Post a Comment