Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mystery Solved

Arriving at the house about eleven-thirty in the morning on Friday, I could see Mom was still in the same state as the day before. As I entered the living room to greet Mom, Dad came up the stairs and was eager to tell me of his phone conversations with the doctor's office and the pharmacy. After investigation, it was discovered that the pharmacy was at fault for giving the wrong dosage of the Haloperidol. I was correct in remembering the amount was .5 milligrams.

She ingested 5 milligrams. Once on Tuesday afternoon after the doctor's appointment, and once on Wednesday afternoon after the ladies luncheon.

Short of fantasizing about getting restitution from the pharmacy (who were very embarrassed and apologetic, and naturally, will replace the drug at no cost..), the important thing is we were right, this time, about the drug having that effect on Mom. It's been decided that we will wait several days for the strong dosage to get out of her system, then start back up again with the correct dosage. Because we noticed a remarkable difference in her manner on this drug.. Moments of the "old Mom" showed through, although she could hardly stand up and walk on her own.

Relieved to have made that discovery, I helped Dad get Mom settled at the dining room table so they could eat some soup. Mom was very weak, so I spoon fed her a little bit to get her started, then she ate a few spoonfuls on her own. After lunch and a bathroom break, she settled back into her chair, and eventually, Dad ran out to the market.

While Dad was away, I read a short story out of The New Yorker to her ("Axis" by Alice Munro), and she enjoyed that. Then I turned the television on real low, and helped her settle into the couch. She drifted in and out of sleep. I worked on a crossword puzzle.

The phone rang once. Dad had a question about the grocery list. Mom smiled at the misunderstanding. Later, the phone rang a second time. This time it was Dad informing me that he had just had a fender bender, he was okay, but would be a little bit longer filling out the paper work.

Great, I thought. Just what we need, more stress. But, Mom was either asleep during the phone call or too tired to care, because she never asked me what Dad wanted, so I didn't bother telling her. He was able to drive home in the Suburu, with the whole front of the vehicle's bumper jammed in the back seats. When he got back, he was able to call the insurance company. Mom was still in the dark about the car. Good, no need to worry her any more.

So, I left to go shopping myself. My brother and a friend came up to visit and play music. My sister is arriving this afternoon for an over night and to stay with Mom on Sunday while Dad is in church. So, more respite, a little fun, problems getting worked out, mysteries getting solved.

No comments: