Tuesday, May 10, 2011

One Week

Today makes one week that Mom has been in the Hospice House. It's also her birthday today. Seventy nine.

Dad and I met with Minister B. at the church and were kindly driven up to the House to visit with Mom. We arrived a little after noon. She was sleeping. We greeted her, she seemed to slightly acknowledge our presence.. a little bit of (closed eye) movement, her mouth moved a little, sometimes her brow furrowed. I kissed her and spoke with her, told her we were there.

I had grabbed a hymn book off of her piano before we left, and Dad sang a few hymns to her, Minister B. singing along, too. We spoke to her. I read a little bit from another book I brought up.

The nurse and CNA on duty, new to us, checked in with her and us several times. We spoke with the doctor, too. He admits he doesn't know why Mom is so unresponsive, except that I suspect he's gently trying to tell us what we already know. They are doing their best to keep her as comfortable as possible.

Just before we left, around two, the CNA and nurse shifted her in the bed. She grimaced while they did it, maybe even moaned a little bit. Before we left, we told her goodbye, we kissed her. Driving home, I realized I forgot to wish her a happy birthday, but in retrospect, it didn't feel very appropriate anyway.

We have decided to stay home today, to take care of some business. This still could change.. we feel like we are on call. I have an appointment tomorrow at eleven-thirty, and I'm trying to decide to keep it or not.

My cousin from Maine called me last night, offering any help needed, as well as condolences.

I read back some of the earlier posts of this blog late last night. It has given me more perspective. It feels like it's been a long goodbye, but it still doesn't make it any easier.

Me and Mom in 1966

2 comments:

seev said...

Love that pic, Kate! Your mom sure was a beauty and you are a wonder!

Anna Fisher said...

Beautiful, remember he then well and give thanks for all the musical works she, Uncle Mardy and I did together at Arlington Street Meeting House and First Parishes choirs where i either sang or played my oboe regularly! She was a trooper for human kind! One love RIP, she always reminded me of the good witch in Wizard of Oz, sang like an angel for sure! Thanks for sharing this challenging experience. Cricket just shared the link, sorry was unaware it had gotten so severe. Hope they will have a service in her honor at First Parish she was well loved there! Hugs Cuz