Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Changes

Today, my friend and fellow musician Stephen is driving down to assist Don, Dad and I in the bed switch. We've decided, in order to get a hospital bed (provided by the hospice agency), we first need to move the two twins beds from an upstairs guest bedroom down and the queen sized master bed up in their place. With this, we hope to provide more comfort for Mom and Dad.

This will require a big change over in the way things have been.

The last three days, Mom has been very subdued. The usual afternoon "sundowning" has even seemed less brutal. Sunday afternoon, I felt comfortable leaving Mom in the loving care of Chris, who made a quiche for their supper while she was there. Chris also has an interesting theory about why Mom makes these odd humming noises, especially if we have to get her up and walk her to the bathroom. She thought it might be something called "toning" which is something she had done to help alleviate labour pains just before she gave birth. I say that that makes perfect sense. The humming, which sometimes, when I join her, turns into a sort of melody that we improvise as we go along, is a way to cope.

Monday, Mom was very very groggy and sleepy all day. Dad had had to give her a second Ativan over night, to keep her in bed and sleeping. She woke up for a while when the home health aid came to give her a little sprucing up, then back to the couch she went. Dad ran out to do errands, and I began to read from the "Little Women" book, but it wasn't long that I could tell she was really asleep.

Then the phone rang and it was the social worker from the agency, calling to try and get a first meeting in with us. I told her to come on by, and the timing worked out well. Mom stayed in the couch, half awake, half asleep, while the three of us sat at the dining room table and had a very good and eye opening discussion. One of the things I'm glad we decided was to cancel the six month follow-up appointment with the neurologist, Dr. D. I was dreading the thought of dragging Mom into the car and driving an hour there and back, just so that he could talk with her and see how much she has deteriorated. Also, now that we are officially under hospice care, we are no longer trying to "save her" life, so to speak. He may have wanted to prescribe another drug, in his dual interest in learning more about what works for this disease, as well as helping Mom to be more functional.

Just after the social worker left with a promise to come back in about two weeks, our primary hospice nurse, Corrin, showed up. She agreed that canceling the neurologist appointment was the right thing to do, so Dad went down and made the call and that was no problem. Then she checked Mom's vitals, all good, looked at Mom's healing (finally!) ankle bone and her elbow scrape. She wanted to ask Dr. N. of it was okay if Mom started using Robitussin for her extra mucus, which is making her a noisy sleeper and also cough a little bit more, but Mom heard that and flat out refused! It was funny, the old Mom rearing her head. Corrin, being a sweetie, respectfully agreed that she would not bring it up with the doctor after all.

She also spoke with the doctor about any other ideas for helping Mom to sleep through the night. She called back later in the afternoon and Dad was told that if Mom was still restless at bed time, he was allowed to give her one more .5 mg. of the Haloperidol.

Yesterday, Mom did exhibit three of the signs that the hospice agency uses to help determine if a person's body is beginning to die. Lack of appetite and food intake, sleep almost all day, and lack of interest in what is going on, or a withdrawal. Now, some days are more like this than others, and sometimes I do wonder if it especially on the days when she's had a lot of the "mild sedatives." Plus, she's on more Haloperidol, too. Maybe we've just sedated her so much that it looks like she's dying.. I sometimes wonder about that. It takes a lot for a person to die. How much fight Mom has left in her, I can't say. It's all very mysterious, and as the social worker reminded us, each journey is different.

I will be interested to see if Mom is perkier today, and how the night went, too.

No comments: