Saturday, April 16, 2011

Friday

Yesterday, Mom was pretty groggy in the morning. But she ate a decent sized breakfast and lunch. We had a visit from Jackie the home health aid, who gave her a quick sponge bath and pampering. During lunch, we had a delivery of a portable commode, which we have placed over their toilet. She's seemed to learn how to use the handrails, though she's not totally happy about it.

Just as I was about to leave for a break at home at two in the afternoon, I saw their friend Nancy drive up. We had forgotten she had arranged for a short afternoon visit. I had promised Mom that she had the rest of the day free... oops. Nancy stayed for about an hour, and later Dad told me that after a little "chatting" with Nancy, Mom got tired and began to moan, so Nancy left.

Mom's sundowners wasn't too too bad while I was there, until about four-thirty. Dad emailed me this morning and reported that she slept fairly well last night, after one false start at bed time. He found the remains of a pill in a little drinking glass this morning, assuming it might have been part of a Haldol.

The extra Haldol dosage seems to be keeping her a little less confused.. She seems to have a sense about what is going on, to an extent. She's heard the word "hospice" enough times. She's been very dependent on me lately.

Dad is being very patient and gentle with her. Tomorrow he has church then a concert from two until a little after three. Chris has volunteered to come at noon and stay with Mom until Dad gets home, probably around four. I hope it goes well.. I missed my gig last Sunday, so I hope to get to it this Sunday. However, if need be, I can skip it again.

I'm having trouble getting my worries out of my head at sleep time. Dreams, imagery. Worries and concerns. Mulling over what else I can possibly to do to make this transition more comfortable for Mom and Dad, and prepare for the inevitable. Not that anybody knows when that is.

No comments: